I started this blog specifically to write about adventures and trips and being outdoors in Alaska. But, as you can see, that isn't happening. So I guess I'll have to start writing about whatever comes to mind for a while, just for the sake of getting back in the habit of writing.
I could write about the last canoe trip we took this fall... It was very snowy. And cold and windy. The wind was the worst. It was interesting that the wind had kicked up foam on the lake, which had subsequently frozen. I didn't get pictures, though, because the wind was blowing so hard that if both of us in the canoe weren't paddling solidly, we would get blown backward. It was awful. In fact, after about an hour of paddling, we decided to turn back. It took less than twenty minutes to get back to where we had started. By that time, the snow had stopped, although the wind hadn't.
This story is so old it's actually a little disappointing now. I don't want to try and tell it after all. Maybe I'll just upload some pictures. Here's one of me doing one of the more glamorous aspects of my job:

I don't even remember what was wrong with the van. I don't think it was anything important, though. Nothing my Leatherman couldn't achieve a temporary fix on, anyway.
Oh, this one was a good one!

Some kids had tied this little kitty to a stick and thrown it in the lake at Tanana Lakes this summer. They were upset when I pulled it out, but I asked if they were going to retrieve it later and they said no, so I reprimanded them for littering, and told them that I was cleaning up their trash, and if they didn't like it, they could take it up with the park ranger. Cynical Ranger was on duty. They wouldn't have gotten very far. I'll have to tell you about Cynical Ranger sometime. We named the soggy little kitty Puddles and kept him as a mascot at our rental kiosk. I think Arctic Llama still has him somewhere.

I really love how prevalent double rainbows are here in Alaska. This panorama warped a little weird, but that's okay. Also I love stuff like this:

I guess that sums things up for now.


No comments:
Post a Comment