I know I promised I would talk
about more boat names next, but I think I'll use that for a filler post some
other time. The weather's been getting warmer, and it's supposed to be getting
above freezing fairly consistently starting this week (WOOHOO!), so everyone's
getting eager to get outside. We're using the last little bit of winter that we
have to have all the fun we want to have in the snow without the -30 degree
temperatures that usually accompany our winters. In this case, Mike, Tony, and
I decided to give kayak sledding a try.
We took our kayaks to the
sledding hill on UAF campus. The remains of cheap plastic sleds littered the
ground, but we didn't let that deter us. Mike and I each grabbed a Stomper,
figuring them to be good, maneuverable choices, Tony grabbed the Mullet, and we
started huffing our way to the top of the hill. Turns out that kayaks are a lot
heavier than normal sleds, and the climb up the hill was something of a workout.
When we finally reached the top, I looked down the hill and noticed it was a
lot bumpier than I was expecting. Also, the snow was hard-packed, not powder,
and I realized the paddles were probably not going to do us much good. I began
to have misgivings.
Mike went first. Tony called
for him to drag back on the paddle, but it was pretty ineffective, and he
turned sideways and bounced hard on each of the drops near the bottom. I felt
sure he was going to flip, but he slid safely into the powder at the foot of
the hill.
I went next and tried to follow
the back-paddling advice, but there was no grip. I might have had better luck
trying to control my speed and direction with a handful of Jell-O. The kayak
turned sideways just like Mike’s did, but clearly,
his balance was far superior to mine. Slamming back into the ground after each
drop was uncomfortable, but not nearly as uncomfortable as when the kayak
flipped upside-down and I slid the rest of the way down the hill on my face
with a kayak on top of me.
The visor of my helmet was
broken, but I was surprisingly undamaged, so we decided to continue. But first,
we stuck our paddles into the snow at the base of the hill and decided to
control our boats by dragging our gloves on the ground, which worked far
better. Tony made sledding look easy, and he always slid the farthest when he
reached the foot of the hill. Mike, who loves challenging himself, took the
chute that wove through the trees and even took a big jump backwards (though
that might have been accidental). Not only did I manage to not flip over again,
but on one particularly entertaining trip down the hill, my boat came to a
gentle stop right up against the paddles, which I tagged to score a point.
(GOAL!!!)
This is definitely something that was worth doing, and while I don't know if it immediately jumped to the top of my List of Favorite Activities, you certainly wouldn't have to twist my arm to convince me to go again.
No comments:
Post a Comment